Compensation for personal injury suffered abroad

Accidents happen every day, no matter where in the world you are. Whether you’re travelling for business or pleasure, you’re no less at risk of injury abroad than you would be at home. In fact, in unfamiliar surroundings the risk of an accident may be even greater.
Whether it’s a minor car crash, a fall or even an injury sustained as a result of crime, Injury Lawyers 4U will fight to ensure that you receive the compensation that you deserve. We have helped a number of clients who have suffered injuries abroad and have a team of expert solicitors in place to guide you through all aspects of your claim.

The right to claim for an injury suffered abroad

You might think that it can be difficult and stressful to claim for personal injury compensation following an injury sustained outside the UK. Sometimes the situation can be frustrating and confusing, particularly if there are language barriers and you are faced with unfamiliar legal and medical systems.
But, that does not reduce your right to claim if your injury was caused by someone else’s negligence. At Injury Lawyers 4U we have the experience and expertise to help you, and have secured compensation for holidaymakers and travellers in many different countries following a variety of injuries.

Making a claim – what you need to know

If you have suffered an accident abroad, it’s important to know who you should be making a claim against. The following is a useful guide:

Working on foreign soil
If you were working abroad at the time of the incident and it was the fault of your employer you can make a claim against them if they are a UK employer or have a registered office in the UK. This would work in exactly the same way as an accident at work claim.

If you have booked your holiday as part of a package deal through a UK travel agent, you can bring a personal injury claim against the travel agent following an injury that was a result of their negligence. This could be food poisoning at the hotel restaurant or a slip on a wet surface in the hotel grounds.
If you are injured while participating in sports or extreme activities booked through an independent tour operator in the resort you may be unable to make a claim against your UK tour operator. Get in touch with us to understand if this is the case.
Following an injury from a road traffic accident suffered abroad you are able to make a claim, exactly as you would at home, if the person at fault was identifiable.

What do I do if I have an accident abroad?

If you have an accident in a foreign country for which you believe another party was to blame, the first thing you should do is to inform the local police. Your first priority should be your safety, as well as the safety of those you’re travelling with. So, ensure you seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Failure to do so can potentially affect your claim.
In the case of injuries sustained whilst on holiday, you should inform your tour operator, who may be better positioned to deal with any complications that may arise. It is also important to gather as much evidence as possible, so if for instance your injury was sustained as a result of a heavy fall on an uneven pavement, take photos of the pavement as proof. It is also useful to get the details of witnesses if there are any.

It’s your right to claim – we’ll work with you

Whether it’s food poisoning from a hotel restaurant or even an injury sustained from recreational activities such as skiing or water sports, get in touch with Injury Lawyers 4U today. We are ‘no win, no fee’ solicitors who specialise in dealing with these types of claims, wherever in the world they might occur.
When making an assessment of your case, we’ll consider the impact of your injuries and illness to enable us to understand how much compensation you might be entitled to. This can include problems you have faced, are currently facing, and may face in the future.

• Pain and suffering
• Lost earnings if you are unable to work
• Medical costs – this is especially important if you have been injured abroad
• Cost of care, rehabilitation, any modifications to your house
• Any other financial losses

It can be enormously traumatic to have to deal with an accident or injury in a foreign country, but at Injury Lawyers 4U we’re here to help. Get in touch with us today on 0333 400 4445, or alternatively fill in the contact form and one of our team will call you back at a time to suit you.

Lawyer reviewing case files on a desk